Modi not fit to be Indias PM: Amartya Sen

Amartya Sen said the BJP leader has not done enough to make the minorities in the country feel safe.

  At a time when the debate over Narendra Modi's credentials as a future prime minister has divided the nation, noted economist Amartya Sen has disapproved the Gujarat chief minister for the top job.

Sen said the BJP leader has not done enough to make the minorities in the country feel safe.

He was quoted by CNN IBN as saying, "Yes, I (Modi) don't want him.

"As an Indian citizen I don't want Modi as my PM... He has not done enough to make minorities feel safe."

"He could have first of all been more secular and he could have made the minority community feel more secure."

Sen reasoned Modi's "insecular" image for his disapproval.

He said, "No, I don't approve of it... I don't think the record is very good. I think I don't have to be a member of the minority in order to feel insecure... We Indians don't want a situation where the minority feel insecure and could legitimately think that there was an organised violence against them in 2002.

"I think that is a terrible record and I don't think Indian Prime Minister as an Indian citizen... Of who has that kind of record? No, I do not."

The Nobel laureate argued that Gujarat's education and healthcare sector need upliftment, two areas where Modi government has failed to deliver in the state.

Sen said, "He could have also taken both of the facts that Gujarat record in education and healthcare is pretty bad and he has to concentrate on that... as much as he is concentrating quietly as it has happened on physical infrastructure."

 

What's Your Opinion? Just give some Comment...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive