Marriage Proposals After DOMA: Taking It to the Tweets

In the rush of excitement after the Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act on Wednesday, actress Kristen Bell jumped onto Twitter to propose to her fiancé, Dax Shepard, who is also the dad of her 3-month-old baby girl, Lincoln.

She wrote:

Last year Bell explained her reluctance to "make it official" with longtime beau Shepard in an interview. "The reason we're not rushing to get married is because I don't feel appropriate taking advantage of a right that's denied to my best friends. That's why we've been so hesitan,." she told The Advocate."Dax and I have talked about it a lot, and this issue is very important to both of us. We're just standing up for what we believe in. Period."

About an hour and a half later, Shepard responded:

People have been using social media both to commemorate and to facilitate their proposals for years now. There are hundreds of flash mob proposals on YouTube, which have collectively attracted millions of eyeballs. The latest twist is Vine, a platform to make 6-second videos. Recently, a media-savvy marketer commandeered the joint forces of Twitter and Vine to ask for the hand of his sweetie while she was hosting a live chat.

Related: IKEA Flash-Mob Proposal Is Latest In-Store Romance

Whether you think public proposals are dreamy or imagine, with a dash of cynicism, that they just make them harder to decline, there is nothing jaded about people popping the question in the wake of the DOMA ruling.

In an interview with CNN, musician Melissa Etheridge, 52, described her reaction to the ruling and her subsequent engagement. "It is about family and I love my four kids. I called my now-fiancĂ©e. I'm looking forward to marrying my partner of three years….I'm going to get married in the state of California. I woke [the kids] up this morning telling them the Supreme Court ruling on DOMA.…I love everybody out there. It's a great day." She added, making a reference to #loveislove, a hashtag trending on Twitter that was even used by President Obama,"Love is love and America is beautiful….I'm proud to be an American."

After her girlfriend, Linda Wallem, accepted, Etheridge tweeted:

The rocker duo Tegan and Sara, who are both openly gay, quipped about all the weddings they would soon be attending:
Not only celebrities are getting into the act. Twitter is buzzing with proposals. "I just asked my girlfriend to marry me and she said yes, Yay for the end of #DOMA and #Prop 8," wrote one user. Another tweeted at his boyfriend, "Congrats on repealing #DOMA America. Does this mean you'll marry me?!?!?! Please?" The (tweeted) response: "but of course!"

Two of the plaintiffs in the Proposition 8 case, Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo, who have been in a relationship since 1998, became publicly engaged outside of the courthouse, and their touching proposal is lighting up YouTube. (You can watch it here.)

On the Facebook page Gay Marriage USA there was an outpouring of support for the decision. Hours before it was was announced, a couple wrote: "This February we celebrated our 10 year 'wedding' anniversary....Every 5 years we have, and will, recommit to each other and say the same words we spoke when we were 'married.' [We] are soulmates so on this eve of SCOTUS decisions, especially because we live in California, we pray that the way is paved for us to finally remove the quotes on 'married.' Pray with us!!!" Another user said, "Today's the day I propose to the love of my life." Another posted, "I cried, my marriage is now legal."

Back on Twitter, many others chose to post the simple statement "will you marry me #DOMA" and celebrate the historic ruling in the best possible way: with a gesture of deep, committed love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive